Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "David M. Meyer" <meyer@network-services.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multicast on freebsd?

I'm going to move this over to multimedia@freebsd.org, where the majority
of our mbone and bt848 people hang out.

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, David M. Meyer wrote:

> 	Can anyone tell me if they have been running
> 	the multicast tools (vat, vic, maybe sdr) on
> 	a freebsd box? If so, what video boards (if you're
> 	encoding)? what audio hardware?

I have the mbone tools mentioned above working perfectly on FreeBSD
2.2-GAMMA.  I'm using a Gravis Ultrasound Plug & Play for audio and a
Hauppauge WinCast/TV for video in.  The GUS is full duplex, and the
WinCast has a tuner onboard.  Doubles as a extra-crisp television.

The WinCast and other BT848-based boards (STB TV/PC, others) are supported
by a driver you'll have to fetch and install, which is not difficult at
all.  The driver still has some rough edges but is coming along *very*
nicely.  I still need to rebuild with the latest version of the driver to
see if they've fixed some lagging bugs, especially one with vic.  The info
page for the bt848 is

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/Bt848.html

The GUS also requires some changes to the kernel to get it to support PnP.
The appropriate file is

ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp6.tar.gz

For a while, I had a quickcam that would multicast.  I still have the
software to do that.  Frame rate is horrible but it gets the picture out.

PS:  I would be happy to demonstrate this sometime.  Your office is only a
few blocks east of here, after all :)