Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:04:32 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "G. Paul Ziemba" <pz-freebsd-ports@ziemba.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poudriere and local patches to ports

dan@langille.org (Dan Langille) writes:

>I have a local patch =
>(https://dan.langille.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/nagios-default-commen=
>t-cmd-cgi.c.diff_.txt) which I wish to apply to net-mgmt/nagios before =
>it is compiled by poudriere).

>I have looked at ports-mgmt/portshaker but that seems to be related to =
>merging rather than patching.

>Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: I set up my poudriere environment almost a year ago,
so there could be new poudriere features to address this issue
that I'm not aware of.

I maintain a tree of local patches matching the structure of the
ports tree (e.g., ./<category>/<port-name>/<patch-files...>). This
is not critical but just helps me keep track of things.

In the /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/*-make.conf files, I call out
local patches this way:

    LOCALPATCHDIR=/usr/ports/LocalPatches

    .if ${.CURDIR:M*/graphics/xpdf}
    EXTRA_PATCHES=${LOCALPATCHDIR}/graphics/xpdf/patch-xpdf-3.03-rotate-cmd
    .endif

[Aside: I'm not completely happy with using EXTRA_PATCHES because
sometimes it collides with use by the port itself. I wish there
were an additional LOCAL_PATCHES feature in the ports makefiles
specifically for this purpose, but EXTRA_PATCHES is adequate for
me at the moment. I haven't studied that issue in a couple of years,
so maybe there is a new ports feature addressing it.]

Before I run "poudriere bulk", I rsync my local patch tree to the
ports tree that will be used by poudriere so that it shows up at
/usr/ports/LocalPatches in the jail.

--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix: