Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 23:11:55 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Gary Jennejohn" <garyj@muc.de>, "groggy@iname.com" <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        "avalon@advicom.net" <avalon@advicom.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware Support Issue

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 17:28:43 -0800 (AKDT), groggy@iname.com wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>
>ISDN is a waste IMHO.  where i live (US) it costs
>$150 per channel / mo., $300 for both channels (128k).
>i can get 20 56k connections for the same cost.

It's not that way everywhere in the US though.  Now that we have "baby
bells", they each get to make stupid decisions for themselves.  Like
everybody else in US management, they're all lokking for "the next big
thing"TM.  Americans contrast with the Japanese.  The Japanese pick,
for example, the following price points for home stereo receivers;
$300, $500, $700, $900, and $1100.  The Japanese will try to pack as
many features as possible into each price point.  So the $300 stereo
will have inputs for one phono, one tape deck, and outputs for one set
of speakers.  But when you get to $500, you'll get inputs for two tape
decks, and outputs for two speaker sets.  American designers, due to
American management (it's a business decision, you know, like the 2
digit year decision), won't give you any bells and whistles until you
buy their $1100 stereo.  Which is exactly why the US has NO ONE
producing stereos (or any other horizontal market home electronics,
practically).

Anyway, ISDN pricing and availability varies WIDELY in the US.  Some
places it is virtually unavailable and really expensive.  Other places
it is available for a friggin' song.  BellSouth has been trying to ram
it down our throats, but they're too incompetent (the stories I could
tell).