Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:05:46 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c710

On Sep 12, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com> wrote:
> I have recently been give an HP EISA SCSI card. This card does fast-wide
> differential. My main chip on this is a NCR 53c710. Can anyone point me to
> the specs for this? I can't seem to find the specs on NCR's web page.

No, the 53c710 isn't fast *wide* differential, for sure ...
That would be the 53c720 ...

The 53c7xx series is very similar to the 53c8xx, except for
the generic bus interface on the 7xx versus the special PCI
interface of the 8xx series. I seem to remember, that the 710
already offered the INTFLY instruction and other commands,
that are required to have the SCSI chip autonomously operate
on a request queue, as all 8xx chips can. The 53c700 was the
last chip that lacked that feature, AFAIK.

You could try building a driver for the 53c710/720 (and the
new Ultra SCSI chips of the 7xx family) by modifying the
NCR PCI SCSI driver. Most of the changes should be confined
to the init code ...

Some Information about the 710 should be available from the
FTP server maintained by Symbios (FTP.Symbios.Com). I had
good luck asking for manuals by sending mail to the address
mentioned on the Symbios web pages.

Regards, STefan