Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2014 06:48:07 -0500
From:      David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com>
To:        code@apotheon.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Retiring portsnap [was MITM attacks against portsnap and freebsd-update]
References:  <CAHAXwYCGkP-o0VvMXj5S8-KNA45aTvy%2BsrjDL_=8-x9Dza5z5Q@mail.gmail.com> <53472B7F.5090001@FreeBSD.org> <CAHAXwYDdxbRimwjvPf%2B5odYUUN4u4rNzdEkEmWwZN97mi1riEg@mail.gmail.com> <53483074.1050100@delphij.net> <CAHAXwYDhxmEwxtBLyZF1R1F8XENsq4FbpzVy89BN8f%2BRYU74KA@mail.gmail.com> <44bnw5uwmm.fsf@lowell-desk.lan> <20140414144155.C55844@sola.nimnet.asn.au> <CAHAXwYBXz80JXhYRknJQoimzU37ZMPjNJ5E2hn8FD0qL6PhKMw@mail.gmail.com> <20140425180217.GC8508@glaze.hydra>

On 4/25/14, Chad Perrin <code@apotheon.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:36:28AM -0500, David Noel wrote:
>> Thanks. I'm happy to, and it's on my to-do list, the only problem is
>> that I'm swamped with other projects and it's been sitting on that
>> list for the past 2 years. It seems to be a similar problem for Colin
>> and the Security Team. I'm hoping that by bringing this bug to the
>> list that someone with more free time will be able to patch it.
>
> Would you be willing to put the time into training up someone to do that
> work?  I'm a bit of a fixer-upper, but I am willing and eager to
> contribute.

Hi Chad, sorry for the slow reply. Awesome. I'm so glad to find
someone with more free time than myself. I'm absolutely willing to
contribute as much knowledge as possible to anyone willing to tackle
these bugs.

How can I help you get started?

The server-side/build code wasn't available back when I was reviewing
it initially but it's all on subversion now.

The build code in here: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/user/cperciva/.
freebsd-update is here:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/freebsd-update/
portsnap is here: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/portsnap/

The bugs in the client-side code are fairly simple to find -- just
search the code for every instance of "fetch" and follow it until the
file is decompressed. Instead of decompressing then sha256 verifying
files, it should sha256 verify then decompress them. A pretty simple
fix. IIRC in pmirror.sh there's also the issue of files being fetched
and mirrored without verification. A benefit of reworking the code is
that it should speed things up -- instead of sha256 verifying each
individual [decompressed] file it will only have to sha256-verify once
-- on the compressed archive.

>From the notes I took 2 years ago (that should still be relevant
today), the functions/lines of concern are:

portsnap.sh: fetch_snapshot(), fetch_update(), and fetch_snapshot_verify().
pmirror.sh: 99-103, 121-125, 138-149, and 153-157 (using revision 257073).
freebsd-update.sh are fetch_metadata(), fetch_files_premerge(), and
fetch_files().

I think the easiest way to approach this would be to trace through the
code. IIRC the portsnap system is less than 2k lines and
freebsd-update is around 5k. I don't know how much RAM your brain came
with but when I went through it I found it easiest to take notes on
key function names as I followed the path of execution. Unless you
write scripts regularly it's just large enough that you might need to
take notes. But it's super clean code and really easy to follow. I was
fairly new to scripting when I first started reading it but by the
time I'd worked my way through it I was confident that I could patch
it without too much trouble (I do also code in C/Java/etc, so that
might have made it easier, but I really do think that if you can work
your way through the code you'll be able to patch it without a
problem). Another thing that makes this such an easy fix is that
everything that needs to be done is done somewhere in the code
already. You could pretty much copy and paste for the entire patch.

That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if there's anything
else, or if you get stuck walking through the code.

-David

PS: If you're debating which project to start on first I would like to
make the case for freebsd-update: Granted, it's twice the side of
portsnap, so it might seem more intimidating to take on first, but
technically we already have a secure way to check out the ports tree
(svn over http secure). So if someone was concerned about security
they'd just use that alternative. Given this bug we don't however have
a secure way to quickly and easily perform system updates. For the
security conscious the only alternative is to manually build from
source (so slow!).