Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:02:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: Is Sendmail secure?

	This question also gets run around a lot on the OpenBSD mailing
lists.  OpenBSD comes with sendmail by default and the dev team considers
it the most secure.  Their stance is that while sendmail has a bad
history, most of the bugs have been worked out of the code (in the
slightly older versions of sendmail that OpenBSD includes) and is now
secure.
	Their view on qmail is that while it has a lot of security
*features* it does not necessarily have security.  There are still bugs in
its code (since it has not been audited for security) and those bugs could
possibly be exploited.
	Further they believe that a good administrator configuring the
mail program correctly has more to do with security than security
features.  Qmail's security features are said to be hard to configure
properly for a newbie.

						Tim