Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:19:30 -0400
From:      khayman <khayman@carolina.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard NIC initialization order

It appears that at boot time when rc.conf is parsed, the ep0 interface
does not yet exist.  I see it try to get an IP, but it says "interface
ep0 does not exist."  Is it the initialization of the pcmcia card
services themselves that is causing this?  By the time the pcardd is
started and the interface is recognized, I'm already past the login
prompt.

How do i make the card servcies daemon start earlier, thereby getting
the NIC recognized before rc.conf is parsed.

rc.conf looks like this:

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
# Created: Tue Jul 17 11:50:01 2001
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
pccardd_flags=""