Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:25:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gateway machine slow to respond

	Hi! Just upgraded to 4.1.1 on my gateway machine along with an
entire new 18 gig SCSI disk. I put my old drive into another computer to
refrence the setup. My problem seems to be along the lines of a reverse
DNS problem, I can ping the gateway from another FreeBSD machine, and a
Windows machine, can telnet into them, although the initial connection is
really slow. Netscape on both the other machines times out before it can
load a page.

	Here is my rc.conf

# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# please make all changes to this file.

# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
#sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
#inetd_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
ifconfig_fxp0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
hostname="heorot.1nova.com"

# Added Nov 26, 2000 RGH
nat_enable="YES"		#Enabled Address Trans
natd_interface="fxp0"		#NIC to use
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"  #Additional flags for NATD
named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/sbin/named"
named_flag="-u bind -g bind"
#firewall_enable="YES"
#firewall_type="OPEN"

	I don't think I really need named at this point, though I do want
to run a local nameserver. This machine can also connect to the outside
world just fine. Thanks in advance for any help!

		Rick