Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 06:44:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs customization

Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com> types:
> Where can I find an easy to understand tutorial or how-to that describes
> how to customize emacs.
> I want to change the colors, allow text coloring for html and perl as well
> as indentation and all that nice stuff.

I don't know which emacs you are using, but Xemacs has all that stuff
in the menus. If you don't have such in your version, you might try
installing the xemacs port instead. Of course, how you customize those
packages depends on which html/perl/etc. editing package you are
using.

> I believe this has something to do with an .emacs or site-start.el file.
> I know nothing about lisp... and I simply need a quick way to customize
> emacs to make it more conducive to what I'm doing.

Considering that both .emacs and site-start.el are lisp files, you're
going to have to learn some elisp in order to customize emacs using
those files. You need to find the lisp variables that control those
things, then add lisp code to .emacs to set them. Finding the
variables is the interesting part. The apropos command, the info
command, and wading through the lisp sources are all useful for that.

Finally, the only tutorial I've seen on configuring emacs is from the
FreeBSD developers handbook at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/emacs.html
>. After the intro it talks about configuring emacs, though it's not
clear how useful it is.