Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 09:11:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Brian O'Connor" <boc@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   seperate / /usr and /var partitions

Hello,
      I admin a medium size network of SGI machines, as well as
a couple of DEC and SUN servers and an increasing number of
FreeBSD and Linux boxes. All my training, and most of my experience
has been with either IRIX or Digital(or should that be Compaq) Unix.

One of the many differences(advantages?) between IRIX and other Unixes?
is that by default the IRIX install creates a single root partition,
ie no seperate /var or /usr partitions. Three or four times now I have
had problems with the DEC,SUN and FreeBSD servers in that the /var
partition fills up, and/or the root partition is too small(esp with DEC
OS upgrades, the new V4.x needs a bigger / partion).

I feel ridiculous hunting for free disk on a 64MB / partion of a 36GB
raid array on the DEC 2100.

I have just setup a new freeBSD(2.2.6)server(1.5GB disk), and this time
configured it with a single root partion. The install process warned me
about this, asking me if I was sure that I new what I was doing.

I think I'm sure.

Are there technical reasons for the seperate partions beyond the classic
need for a nfs mounted /usr(not applicable here).

boc
--

                   Brian O'Connor, Unix Systems Consultant
      La Trobe University,Bendigo,Australia; b.oconnor@latrobe.edu.au