Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:06:04 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you solve...

In message <1548.877976963@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: I have two small aliases that
:
: 	home	(rm -f /var/tmp/@work)
: 	work	(touch /var/tmp/@work)
:
: my /etc/pccard.ether (or whatever it is called today) looks for
: this file and decideds which IP to configure.  Works great.

So you type "home" and then plug the ethernet card in when you get
home in the evenings?  Then /etc/pccard.ether does its magic, no?

I was thinking of doing DHCP or even a simple ifconfig <home-addr>
ping home-host failure -> ifconfig <work-addr> ping work-host failure
-> loop a reasonable number of times, then prompt with a Tk program or
something like that.  And then once I know where I am, I can wonk
resolv.conf, et al to do the right thing.

Any gotchas on changing IP address of an interface on the fly on
FreeBSD?  I wouldn't think so.

Warner