Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:58:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating bootable Syjet install disk

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> You would indeed.  I just tried it. :-)

    After going back and forth for a bit in IRC ;-), it seems that the
kernel from the 2.2.5-RELEASE boot.flp *does* in fact work as one
would expect:  copy /kernel off the floppy to the fixed drive or a
removeable drive like the Syjet, and you can boot off that device as
the installation media.

    The kernel from 3.0-980101 does *not* work, however.  It hangs as
I described before, at the "rootfs is 1440 Kbyte compiled in MFS" boot
message, just before it runs sysinstall.  I suspect this may be a
problem for a bootable 3.0 CD-ROM as well.

> If sysinstall ever evolves into something more general, I could even
> see some value to copying a /kernel.mfs into the new rootfs on
> installation.  Then if you wanted to repair something later and your
> root fs was still kosher enough to boot the /kernel.mfs, you could
> do that instead of messing with a boot floppy.

    I have /kernel.MFS files all over the place now from my
experimentation, and I think I'll just leave them there for this
purpose.  :)  I hate having to scrounge around for a 3.5" disk to make
a boot floppy (assuming I even have a machine around to dd the image).
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)