Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2021 19:01:54 +0000
From:      "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Incorrect permissions on contents of /etc/rc.d leads to being unable to boot

First, sorry if this is HTML.  For now I am forced to use Outlook by change=
s that my employer has made to our mailsystem.

Next, I'm not quite sure where to post this cautionary tail.  But I do thin=
k this information may be useful for people working on the tool etcupdate.

I built stable/12 from git for the first time.  mergemaster didn't work bec=
ause all the header files that start with # $FreeBSD$ had lost their subver=
sion revision numbers.  Then I saw on a mailing list that we are supposed t=
o use etcupdate now.  For whatever reason, I had to use "etcupdate resolve"=
 and it insisted that it resolve every file.

Then I rebooted, and nothing worked.  The internet connection didn't come u=
p, and the file system was mounted read only.  After much detective work, I=
 realized that none of the files in /etc/rc.d were executable.  I used chmo=
d to set them all executable, and then it worked!!!!

So maybe the writers of etcupdate and mergemaster need to make sure that fi=
le permissions are set correctly.

Thanks, Stephen