Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 20:29:25 -0600
From:      Damien Tougas <dtougas@converging.net>
To:        "David B. Aas" <dave@ciminot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Sender domain must exist" error

I'm not sure if this is the problem or not, but do you have relaying
setup in your /etc/mail/access file?  This file contains the ip addresses
of hosts that are allowed to relay mail through your server.  Sendmail,
by default, does not allow any relaying from outside hosts.

Check out the documentation on this, but all you should have to put is:

10.0.0.1	RELAY   <-- to allow relaying for this host
10.0.10		RELAY   <-- to allow relaying for this subnet

in your access file.  Then do:

makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

and it should work (provided that it is actually your problem :-)

Damien Tougas.

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:00:00AM -0500, David B. Aas wrote:
> I am getting an error message from POP3 clients when emial is sent. Email is
> received OK, but I cannont send.
>
> I am running Sendmail on FreeBSD 3.2. Sendmail is set up, and POP3 is
> enabled. My users have valid Unix usernames and passwords. My server name is
> gateway.townandcountry.org and my domain name is townandcountry.org.
>
> My users can connect and receive email. When email is sent, they get an
> error message on the POP3 client something like this:
>
> "The message could not be send because the server rejected the sender's
> email address. The sender's email address was ....Server Response "501
> gateway.townandcountry.org ... sender domain must exist"
>
> On the server console, an error message shows up "Sendmail ...
> ruleset=check_mail ...Reject=501 gateway.townandcountry.org sender domain
> must exist."
>
> I double-checked my sendmail.cf file. I have set up a D and a DM record. DNS
> is running and appears to be working OK.
>
> What am I missing? any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave Aas
> Dave@ciminot.com

Damien Tougas