Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:42:05 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org
Subject:   Re: FW: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile Makefile.man pkg-plist pkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files patch-2 patch-c patch-c2 patch-d patch-f patch-i810 patch-j patch-k patch-mouse patch-r128 patch-r128dri patch-r128xmesa patch-shm

Am I doing something wrong or does,

  # cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
  # make

Take a staggering amount of scratch space with the meta-port approach?

It looks like each piece of the port is extracting its own copy of
X420src-1.tgz, X420src-2.tgz, or X420src-3.tgz or some combination
thereof. I was trying to build it on a system where I had WRKDIRPREFIX
pointed to a directory on a filesystem with over 500 MB of scratch
space and couldn't do it. Even trying to do it in pieces wasn't
working so I moved the WRKDIRPREFIX to a partition with more
space.

The final scratch space total,

  $ du -sk $WRKDIRPREFIX
  1482579 $WRKDIRPREFIX

About 1.41 GB. Whereas,

  $ du -sk /usr/X11R6
  102213  /usr/X11R6

Just under 100 MB.

I know X is a resource hog building and runtime, but was this aspect
of the new meta-port layout considered before it was committed? Sorry,
I can't offer any ideas how to improve on this within a meta-port
framework.