Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:00:19 -0500
From:      "Salyzyn, Mark" <mark_salyzyn@adaptec.com>
To:        "'Mike Smith'" <msmith@freebsd.org>, Micah Anderson <micah@indymedia.org>
Cc:        noah <noah@indymedia.org>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: update

Although I figure Adaptec's Tech Support would be the best to know about
generic issues with drive access, the possibilities for this issue could be:

1) No cable and/or drive cabinet domain validation, so one might have to
roll the SCSI speed down a bit to compensate for cable and/or drive
combination issues.
2) Some drives are more comfortable with either over (more than just the two
endpoints) or under (only the last drive or controller) termination.
3) Contact tech support for a later Firmware release, there may be known
issues with your drives, cabinets and/or drive combinations that might have
been addressed with either drive firmware, or controller firmware updates.
Currently the customer has better access to Technical Support than I do at
this moment :-( even though I virtually end up driving over top them each
morning as I head to the parking lot ...

In any case, I will report this to the Firmware engineers to see if they
have any additional comments to add about this issue.

Keep in mind that at initial negotiation, the speed is lower, the transfers
less stressful, than at operating system time. Edge issues may surface as a
result, sometimes appearing different from OS to OS. For instance, I believe
the ASR driver can request up to 58 (~4KB) scatter/gather elements in one
request, allowing up to 256 requests/device. NT's scsiport driver, on the
other hand, limits request to 64KB/each and only 16 requests/controller.
Stresses vary.

However, OS issues do not typically affect drive failures, which is curious.
I have an issue that comes up in FreeBSD, for instance, with the array
performance in an impacted (read failures do not fail an array since data
can be reconstructed) state since the requests take much longer to fulfill
than in the genuine failed state. Impacted means every request still tries
to be fulfilled by first trying to talk to the not-yet failed component.
This has the catch-22 effect of not being able to mount the array head due
to the protracted responses on some failed drive scenarios before the
adapter has considered the component to be marked as failed. Pulling the
errant drive might be the only way. Later adapter Firmware may deal with
this through careful consideration of request response time. Tech support
may supply a select fail-on-read firmware/NVRAM, or one can chose to bump up
the timeout in the SCSI layer. This issue, for instance, does not occur
under Solaris because their SCSI layer is set to 2 minute timeouts.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn