Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:06:45 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:

> And my MB is an Asus P6NP5, and early 2940. Changed out floppies (disk,
> not drive) and got essentially the same results. The problem seems to
> be in the writing. A disk formatted with errors reported verifies mostly
> the same errors.
>
> Keep the SCSI traffic down and there are no errors writing.

Perhaps you guys have a lousy power supply (or a broken FDC)?

I've just tried it, and apart from some slowdown in the floppy
formatting part (an obvious sign that the driver loses floppy
revolutions when reading), no errors so far.  This is with both of my
disks running iozone simultaneously.

That's an ASUS P55T2P4 (i think it's using the SMC FDC+serial+
parallel chip) and two NRC 53c810's.

I would indeed suspect the power supply, or some ground loop problem.
The disk seek operations could easily cause some current jumps on the
power lines.  Try powering the disk drives from another supply if you
can.

--
cheers, J"org