Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:58:18 +0100
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Subject:   Setting term capability in /etc/login.conf

I've decided to change the localization settings. Previously I had a login
class for italian users in /etc/login.conf:

italian:Italian Users Accounts:\
        :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
        :lang=it_IT.ISO_8859-1:\
        :tc=default:

In /etc/profile I had:

export TERM=cons25l1

and everything was fine.

Now I have removed the definition of the TERM variable from /etc/profile,
because not all users are in the italian login class. I have defined the term
capability in /etc/login.conf:

italian:Italian Users Accounts:\
        :charset=ISO-8859-1:\
        :lang=it_IT.ISO_8859-1:\
        :term=cons25l1:\
        :tc=default:

Then I have rebuilt the database with:

cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

When a user in the italian login class logs in, he has the TERM environment
variable set to cons25 instead of cons25l1. I grep'd into config files in /etc
and user's home directory to search for an explicit definition of the TERM
variable, but I couldn't find it.

As stated in the login.conf(5) man page:

ENVIRONMENT
     Name             Type      Notes            Description
[snip]
     term             string                     Default terminal type if not
                                                 able to determine from other
                                                 means.

so I understand that TERM is not set to cons25l1 because the terminal type is
determined from "other means". Now the question is: what are these "other
means"?

I don't want to put 'export TERM=cons25l1' in each italian user's
~/.bash_profile, because I would loose the simplicity of the administrator
level login classes method.

	Francesco Casadei