Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:36:32 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Matt W." <kmx@egatobas.org>, misc@openbsd.org, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inspiron fan problems (was: laptop cpu fan)

Thus spake Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com):

>On Thursday,  8 February 2001 at  0:08:17 -0600, Matt W. wrote:
>> I've got a Dell Inspirion 5000e and was wondering if there is anyway to
>> get obsd 2.8 to run a nop loop in the background when the processor
>> isn't being used.  The reason i ask this is the cpu fan is on constantly
>> even when nothing is happening.
>
> I've noticed a similar problem with my Inspiron 7500 running FreeBSD.
> I think it's a bug in the OS.  What I'm observing is that after
> booting the fan will be off, but if at some time the system gets hot
> enough to turn on the fan, it never goes off again.  APM does work on
> the 7500, and if I suspend and resume, the fan goes on immediately on
> resume, even though the system is cool.  The only way to stop it is to
> reboot.  Has anybody else noticed this?

That's odd; I have (actually someone I work with has) a 5000e here
running FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE (~ October 13 2000) which doesn't exhibit
this problem.

The fan kicks in when the system is warm enough, but also stops when
things cool down.

What ambient temperature are you running at?

Nick

--
Nick Slager		| Quidquid latine dictum
nicks@albury.net	| sit, altum viditur.