Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:21:56 +0000
From:      lists@mediumgreen.com
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, dakota@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

I think I heard Andrew Gordon say:
>On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>
>> Hello -scsi:
>>
>> How do I "connect" a USB "disk" when I already have a SCSI
>> HBA & other peripherals installed & operating?

What great timing for this discussion.. I've been trying to get
a compact flash reader working on my machine at home for a couple
of days.

>It should appear of its own accord when usbd sees it.  However, this
>doesn't appear to work properly at present.

I've attached the device before startup and have noticed some usbd
messages when I remove and reinstall it.

Jul  4 22:06:22 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 3) discon=
nected
Jul  4 22:06:22 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: detached
Jul  4 22:06:26 blueberry /kernel: ugen0: SIIG DigiFilm-Combo Reader, rev=
 =

1.00/0.01, addr 3

blueberry# usbdevs
addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
 addr 2: Microsoft IntelliMouse=AE Optical, Microsoft
 addr 3: DigiFilm-Combo Reader, SIIG

>>  And what will
>> (should :) be its device-name (in /dev)?
>
>/dev/daX*  where X is the next available number

By the above output, I figured that da3 is what I'd use, but it
does seem to work (FWIW, I've tired da[0-4]):

blueberry# mount -t msdos /dev/da3s1 /mnt
msdos: /dev/da3s1: Device not configured
blueberry# camcontrol devlist
<IMS CDD2000/00 1.26>              at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<HP C1553A 9503>                   at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass1,sa0)
<HP C1553A 9503>                   at scbus0 target 4 lun 1 (pass2,ch0)

>> & "camcontrol rescan 1" gives
>> me an ioctl() error.
>
>I haven't found a method that works other than to have the device presen=
>at boot time.

Had it present at boot.

Have everything that seems relevant in my kernel....

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sast of options # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cdalso present i# CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)=

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and=
 da
device          ums             # Mouse

Is there anything I've forgotten?

-matthew