Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bash question

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Brendan Kosowski wrote:

> Is there a special character I can use in filenames to tell bash to
> automatically increment a number within the filename when redirecting data
> to the file.

	No.

> eg. The first time I type "date > [filename]" I want bash to place the
> date in a filename called date.001
>
> Now, because date.001 already exists, the next time I type the same
> command it should produce date.002, and so on....

	I had to solve a similar problem with a perl script that I use to
do a trashcan type deletion routine. Here's what I came up with in
pseudo-code. All of these things are possible to do with bash scripting
too.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter

Does date.nnn exist?
	If yes
		split number off the end
		increment number