Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:46:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Erik H. Bakke" <erik@habatech.no>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timer problems with current on 164SX

Erik H. Bakke writes:

 > Any advice on this?  (A log is attached)

Since you're not going to get a crashdump because the disk is wedged,
please configure a debug kernel with ddb & get a backtrace from ddb.   Add
options         DDB
To your config file & reconfigure using config -g.

When it panics, you should be dropped into the ddb debugger.  At this
point, get a backtrace. (eg use the ddb command tr).

After the machine comes back up, you can use gdb on
compile/NAME/kernel.debug to get an idea what the interesting address
is.  Eg, the back trace will look something like:

db> tr
Debugger() at Debugger+0x2c
panic() at panic+0xf4
trap() at trap+0x5c8
XentMM() at XentMM+0x20
ata_reinit() at ata_reinit+0xa8
(null)() at 0x1

In gdb, you'd do:

(gdb) l *ata_reinit+0xa8

This will give you a line number.

I suspect you'll a function like cia_bwx_BLAH before the fault.  I'm
interested in the caller of that cia function (probably some ata function).

Good luck!

Drew

PS: I'd do this myself, but I have an ide disk on an xp1000.  This
machine just gives you back garbage on accesses which generate machine
checks on older hardware like yours.  This means when I use my ide disk,
the disk just hangs, but I have no clue where the bad access is.