Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   running 5.1-RELEASE with no procfs mounted (lockups?)

Hello,

I have loaded two 5.1-RELEASE systems, both of them have PROCFS and
PSEUDOFS in the kernel, and yet neither of them have a procfs mounted.

There is no procfs line in /etc/fstab by default, and no procfs is mounted
on the system in any way.

Question 1:  Is this intentional ?  Is it no longer needed/recommended to
             run a procfs ?

One of the systems, the one I am doing all the work on, is an SMP system,
and it keeps locking up on me - the lockups are always the same - things
are going fine, and suddenly a process fails to complete - maybe it is
"pwd", maybe I type   :q!   in "vi"  and it just sticks there - either
way, randomly, processes just begin to lock up ... if I log in on another
session, I can see the PID, but I cannot kill it - I can kill -9 (PID) 100
times and it will still exist.  Eventually the entire system will lock up,
although you can always ping the system.

Question 2:  Is this because I am running without procfs ?  Or have these
             type of problems been seen in 5.1-RELEASE by other causes ?

thank!