Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:22:57 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA DMA Problem

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 08:06:22AM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> I've discovered an interesting problem as follows:
>
> Jun 17 05:16:59 cwsys /kernel: ad2: HARD READ ERROR blk#
> 4999424ata1-master: WAR
> NING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
> Jun 17 05:16:59 cwsys /kernel: ad2: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> Jun 17 05:16:59 cwsys last message repeated 15 times

This probably isn't much help or even the same problem, but there's
a possibility it's the same thing, so I'm gonna follow up anyway.

I started getting hard read errors on a 6 month old 34Gb IBM disk
shortly after installing FreeBSD 4.0 as well. However this happened
on a mounted DOS partition and that since became unusable - DOS
reported it as a bad block after that as well.

I found that it would only be visible under FreeBSD using dd like
shown (although I didn't try changing blocksize.) The FAT filesystem
was mountable from windows and DOS, except that once DOS scandisk
had run it obviously cleaned up a bit to work round it.

However, using an IBM fixit disk I couldn't find anything wrong with
the disk - even though DOS scandisk has since wrecked it's filesystem
and made dual boot to windows impossible. (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM died).

In my case I beleive I probably have a problem with the disk, however
if this is happenning is it possible that a similar driver problem
could have been at fault ?

Or, more likely, have we both got broken disks.

	Steve

> 1.  Possible heat problem, bs=1024k probably drives the disk harder than
>     the default bs=512.  Interestingly, 3.4 didn't experience this
> problem.
>     Maybe 4.0's new ATA driver is more efficient, driving the disk
> harder
>     and causing the disk's controller board to run a little hotter than
> it
>     did under 3.4.  (most)

This seems unlikely and I've had similar western digital disks that
used to be used very heavily without any problems for a prolonged
periods without any trouble.

> 2.  Possible disk/controller/DMA timing issue, e.g. hardware problem
>     excluding HDA failure.
>
> 3.  Possible FreeBSD ATA/DMA driver bug.  (least)

Other things to consider :
  4.  You actually have a bad block.

  5.  You're drive/controller/driver combination can't actually perform
to spec, and with UDMA at full pelt the disk ends up getting back to the
controller with an "I can't keep up", which is interpreted as a hard read
error.

> Any comments would be welcome.

I'm going to send off for a replacement disk anyway, as I think option 4
is reasonably likely.

	Steve