Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:39:54 -0800
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        "Jon Paterson" <jpaterson@itchannel.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: keeping stable without cvs type tools.

The daily or weekly syncs aren't too painful on a 56k dialup, installing a
4.1-RELEASE box today and cvsup'ing up would be. What you may want to
consider doing is at work, cvsup'ing at work, to your  ~, then tar it up,
burn it to cd.

Then at home, rm -rf /usr/src, and untar the source from cd onto /usr/src.
Use that as the starting point, and from there on a weekly basis or so, when
you are dialed in, cvsup to keep the source current.

Naturally makeworld/makekernel as appropriate.
Repeat the above steps for the ports collection if desired.

Also consider keeping a cvsup-mirror at work that updates like once a day or
on demand, to minimize network latency.

Sameer