Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 15:02:27 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        "David S. Geirsson" <andmann@andmann.eu.org>
Cc:        Ryan Masse <mail@max-info.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmms port broken?

thanks for the suggestions, however they are
a moot point since i can't even get xmms to
install. it looks like gnomecontrolcenter is the problem.

"David S. Geirsson" wrote:

> ... or run xmms like:
>
> artsdsp xmms
>
> which runs XMMS in a wrapper, so it uses the arts sound server.
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 01:10:54PM -0400, Ryan Masse wrote:
> > i had a similar occurance with xmms and kde 2.1.1. I had to disable the
> > sound server enabled by default in kde.
> >
> > Go to:
> >
> > control center>sound>sound server> uncheck 'start arts sound server on kde
> > startup' once unchecked and restarted the sound server, xmms should run
> > fine.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> > > xmms on my freebsd box has been funky since day one of
> > > it's install. often, at the end of a song, i would suddenly
> > > get a message telling me to check my soundcard to see if
> > > it was plugged in or that something else may be blocking it,
> > > yadda, yadda, yadda.
> > >
> > > then i would have to go the preferences and select another
> > > plugin to get to work.
> > >
> > > i used pkg_delete to remove xmms to see if i could just start
> > > over and make it work correctly...
> > >
> > > now however, i can't even get the port to install.
> > > I keep getting the message below. I *do* have gnomecontrolcenter
> > > installed.
> > >
> > > i've reached the end of my current knowledge on this one.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > jim
> > >

> > > configure:5766: checking for gnome-vfs library >= 0.9
> > > (end of "config.log")
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > Stop in /usr/ports/audio/xmms.
> > > spike#

> --
> Davíð Steinn Geirsson
> andmann@andmann.eu.org
> (354)-8696608
>
> "Support staff hung over, Send aspirin and come back LATER."

Jim Arnold, Ohio.com Site Administrator
jim@ohio.com, (o) 330.253.9524 (c) 330.730.0797
I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
which has been up for 11:40, days as of 05/30/01 02:30:00 PM