Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:16:46 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
Cc:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed secure-level 4 patch

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.9906201710460.17277-100000@zipper.zip.com.au>, Nichol
as Brawn writes:
>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
>
>> Anyway, this all boils down to a matter of choice.  If you value being
>> able to restart daemons without rebooting, then don't use this level of
>> protection.
>
>Here's an idea i'll toss into the ring. What about runtime integrity
>checks. If there were some way of guaranteeing that a program being
>executed has the correct checksum prior to processing execve()?
>
>I'm not advocating this line of approach, but it may be one option to
>consider.

I actually thought of that at one point:  You load a bunch of approved
md5 sums into the kernel, set a flag and then only binaries which
are on the list can be executed.  Trouble is that shared libs needs
to be checked too and they're handled in userland.  Of cource static
binaries could be made mandatory.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!