Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:58:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, romank@graphnet.com
Subject:   Re: DNS hardware needs under 2.2.7

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:17:40 -0400
>From: Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>

>We are migrating all our Internet-related servers from Solaris to
>FreeBSD. I've already moved the news and web servers, and DNS is next.
>Here's my question: does DNS require a separate machine, or are its
>resource requirements rather small? The web server runs on a Pentium 2
>266/128M/4G IDE. Should I run BIND on that or build its own server? Any
>input much appreciated as always.

In the more usual case (i.e., you're not running a root nameserver), I'd
expect that you could (and probably should) run namervers (note plural)
on systems that are also providing other services.  For example, it
would probably be beneficial to run a (secondary, or -- using the V8
terminology -- "slave") nameserver on each Web server.  I would not tend
to run one on the news server, but only because news tends to consume
any available resources (and the news server, unless you're doing
something that I'm not expecting) doesn't have much (if any) need to
use nameservice (or much of anything else).

Nameserver load is more dependent on the frequency of queries from
other systems; if those other systems are not under your control, there
isn't a huge amount you can do to affect the load they present to your
nameservers (unless I've overlooked something or our notions of "huge"
differ).  By providing multiple nameservers, you can reduce the load on
any one of them.

Please recall that both primary ("master") and secondary ("slave")
nameservers are equally authoritative as far as responding to queries
about the zones that they serve.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621