Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:11:36 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which benchmark ??

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 05:37:25PM -0500, ccba wrote:

> I have two machines up with BSD 4.2 (PII 300 MHz and a PIII 500 MHz)
>
> I want to run benchmarks on both machines.

"Benchmarks" is a very ill-defined term, if not mentioned within a
proper context.  The important thing is what these machines will be
used for, since, for instance, PIII might be better at number
crunching but PII a hell of a lot better in large file transfers.

> Can someone recommend good benchmark tests for these machines. Both
> will be internal ftp servers.

So you should care what these machines can do for you, if used as FTP
servers.  A small script to transfer a large file and great numbers of
smaller ones is the best I can come up with.  If the machines are
called `alpha' (the PII), `beta' (the PIII), and another machine is
called `gamma', I would try:

1. Transferring a large file:

	FROM	TO
	alpha	beta
	beta	alpha
	alpha	gamma
	gamma	alpha

Then I would run the same pairs of machines through the `bazillion of
small files' test, to see what they will do in that case.

Testing the number of concurrent users a machine can stand is a tougher
case, since it requires a far better machine (or a network of machines)
to initiate the bazillion of transfers.

Just my $.02 :-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]