Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 16:42:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
To:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Adaptec 2940UW and 2.2.7-RELEASE

I've done my homework on this one.  I looked through the mailing list
archives, and found a case identical to mine.  The errors showing up in
the device probe are:

ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 1 int a irq 11 on
pci0:17
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
ahc0: board is not responding
cmd fail
(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x1 timeout while recovery in progress
(ahc0:0:0): "unknown unknown ????" type 13 fixed SCSI 0
uk0(ahc0:0:0):unknown

This looks like it might be a termination problem, right?  So, I tested
both automatic and low ON high ON termination settings on the card, and
tried multiple devices amd terminators on the external 68-pin connector.
I also got this error when no devices were attached.  My computer meets
the minimal requirements for the card.  It's a generic MMX motherboard
with a 166 MHz Pentium on it.  All PCI slots support bus mastering with no
way to turn it on or off.  I've tried disabling sync nego, adapter resets,
wide nego, and device disconnects, but no joy.  I've tried wiring down
IRQs to PCI slots in the BIOS.  Other PCI devices work fine (VGA and fxp).
The 2940UW continuously times out and claims to be discovering a uk at
every id.  Is there something I can do to fix this?  Thanks for any help
you give.

Joe Clarke