Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 95 12:17:22 CST
From:      Aaron Harcrow <g506181@aurora.lasc.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Adaptec, SCSI and IDE

To all the FreeBSD volunteers, I wish you Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and
HELP!! (-O
In my efforts to keep cost low, I have come up short on documentation. I
recently purchased a NEC 1Gig drive and Adaptec 2842 SCSI controller card, but
vendors at the computer didn't provide documentation. I would like to install
FreeBSD 2.0 on this new disk in my 486 DX2/66Mhz VLB PC which currently has an
170MB IDE drive. My searches in the archives indicate that this is possible,
but explicit explanations and/or directions as to HOW to do it were not given.
Who out there can coach me through such an installation? I would like to keep a
small DOS partition on the IDE disk and the majority of FreeBSD on the SCSI.
Are there any Adaptec drivers I need to run FreeBSD? Where can I get them on the
Internet? And, to further make it difficult, I would like to do the install via
ftp and a modem. What helpful hints can you give me? Is there a prefered ISP in
the Atlanta, GA area anyone would recommend? Respond to :
  alharcrow@lasc.lockheed.com
Thanks in advance,
Aaron Harcrow