Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 05:12:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        anders@fix.no
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggest new "ftp" category

 * From: Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>

 * But programs like downloader, wget, lftp and pavuk downloads through http
 * as well as ftp. Some of them are not DESCRibed as ftp programs either. How
 * about a filetransfer category instead, or net-transfer? If we were to sort
 * out all programs in their own categories by protocol, we'd have a lot of
 * them. Though if we sort them out by their basis functionality it'd be
 * easier.

Easier for who?  I think clear-cut categories are easier for users to
find stuff than general "let's put this and this here so we'll have
more numbers" type categories.  (Same goes for irc/icq vs. chat.)

Not that I'm saying "filetransfer" is too generic, but "ftp" is too
nice to pass up.  We can always add "www" as a secondary category for
those who speak both.

-PW