Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:12:56 +0000
From:      Tor Egge <Tor.Egge@idi.ntnu.no>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> As dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:
>
> > And my MB is an Asus P6NP5, and early 2940. Changed out floppies (disk,
> > not drive) and got essentially the same results. The problem seems to
> > be in the writing. A disk formatted with errors reported verifies mostly
> > the same errors.
> >
> > Keep the SCSI traffic down and there are no errors writing.
>
> Perhaps you guys have a lousy power supply (or a broken FDC)?

5.05V and 12.20V during the test. (300W power supply).

FDC is a Winbond W83877F, 630AC262126202.

> I've just tried it, and apart from some slowdown in the floppy
> formatting part (an obvious sign that the driver loses floppy
> revolutions when reading), no errors so far.  This is with both of my
> disks running iozone simultaneously.
>
> That's an ASUS P55T2P4 (i think it's using the SMC FDC+serial+
> parallel chip) and two NRC 53c810's.

Is `Passive release' present as an configuration entry in the PNP/PCI
screen in the BIOS configuration ? If yes, is it enabled or disabled ?

When I disable `Passive release', the errors during formatting disappears.

- Tor Egge