Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:17:35 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz>
To:        Benjamin Keating <motionsiren@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recompiling the Kernel for better ATA support

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:24:49 -0300
Alejandro Pulver <alejandro@varnet.biz> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:14:39 -0800
> Benjamin Keating <motionsiren@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much for your help.
> >

> You are welcome.
>
> > So this file would kick in after recompiling just the kernel. I was
> > thinking more would need to be done, like the make world stuffage
> > that I do not yet understand.
> >
> > Ben
> >

> Notice that the kernel sources are in the 'sys' subdirectory under
> '/usr/src'. A "make world" compiles and install the sources in all the
> subdirectories of '/usr/src' (not only the kernel, that is in 'sys').
> For more information about the components of '/usr/src' (and all the
> system) see 'man 7 hier'.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ale

Hello again,

I did not notice it but there were other discussions about this (and I
also had my own experience). You can also try the following (1 to 4
were copied from other posts):

1) Check if your hd is connected through a 80 pin ide cable (for
UDMA133).

2) Try disabling or changing the UDMA speed in BIOS settings.

3) Try using 'atacontrol mode 0' or 'atacontrol mode 0 udma33 biospio'
(as root). See 'man 8 atacontrol'.

4) Add the line 'hw.ata.ata_dma="0"' to '/boot/loader.conf'. I think it
is a persistant version of the previous procedure.

5) In my case I had an 80 GB Samsung hard disk (with an 80 pin IDE
cable) sharing the IDE channel with an internal Zip or CDROM (I
tried with both) slave drive and had similar errors when enabling
UDMA133 from the BIOS settings. There were a few errors even when
disabling UDMA from BIOS. Finally I removed the Zip/CDROM, leaving the
hard disk as the only drive in the IDE channel. Then the errors
dissapeared even at the highest UDMA speed. I did not try with software
('atacontrol', etc.).

Please let me know about the results you obtained.

P.S.: when you reply to someone about a list discussion please CC it to
the list.

Best Regards,
Ale