Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2006 02:48:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phpMyAdmin problem - no Edit/Delete on Browse

On Sun, 28 May 2006 at 18:26:46 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Sun, 28 May 2006, Matthew Seaman wrote:
 > >  > Ian Smith wrote:
 > >  > > running 5.4-RELEASE and installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.3 with pkg_add -r
 > > [..]
 >
 > You would be well advised to upgrade to the latest phpMyAdmin, which is
 > version 2.8.1, and is in the current ports. There are a number of security
 > problems that affect many earlier versions.  If you look at the list of
 > security announcements at http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security.php
 > then with version 2.6.1pl3 you're potentially vulnerable to anything announced
 > after PMASA-2005-1

It's good advice for sure, however not practicable at the moment.  As I
said, this laptop is not net-accessible, and I just needed to get a job
done.  According to the requirement list, I'd have to update php, expat,
mysql version! - surely a case of the tail wagging the dog? - and even
xorg, pretty much everything.  Not really doable on a 28.8k modem link.

So, given my broadband application is on 'hold' awaiting local enabling
which might take months, I'm going for a 6.1 4-CD set as soon as they're
available; packages and/or distfiles is really the only way to go for
those (still many) parts of the planet without fast, cheap connections.

 > > Think I'll start again with the installed config.  I really can't recall
 > > if this problem was there since installation, but as mentioned all other
 > > import/export, create/drop/copy database/table, adding rows etc all just
 > > works well so far, excepting edit/delete availability on browse.

I did start again from scratch; no difference.  Still can't believe that
such a show-stopper bug wouldn't have obviously affected many phpmyadmin
users on 5.4 - people do use it to edit records, don't they? - so still
have to suspect some local config issue.  Tried another browser and all.

 > I have a vague memory that I've seen something like this mentioned as a
 > bugfix in the release notes for phpMyAdmin, but I can't put my finger on
 > exactly where.  You can see the release notes for most phpMyAdmin versions
 > here:
 >
 > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23067&package_id=16462
 >
 > but the formatting is all wrong before the 2.8.x series.

Yes, read every one since 2.6.1; nothing that struck me as even similar.

Anyway, thankyou Matthew for your helpful advice and clues.

Cheers, Ian