Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 01:20:33 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DOSemu Alterer Novices Guide and technical guide

> Howdy,
> It seems like DOSEMU is so messy, they had to build a manual for hacking
> it. It is in a primitive state, but here it is:
> 	http://www.uel.ac.uk/pers/A.Macdonald/dosemu/dang/DANG.html

It has been in this state for a long time.  DANG used to largely depend
on specially-formatted comments in the code.

> The DOSemu technical guide seems more interesting:
> 	http://www.suse.com/~dosemu/doc-0.67/README-tech.html
> (specially the VM86PLUS part)
> It may also help knowing that they plan to include the FreeDOS kernel in
> a future release.

They were planning to do this a year ago, at about the same time that I
was evaluating FreeDOS for use with doscmd.  The major problem with
FreeDOS is that the DOS-C kernel had *no* networking support
whatsoever, and its internal structures (eg. the LoL) were completely
incompatible with those of MS-DOS.  A slightly better bet would be the
Caldera OpenDOS, if they ever get around to releasing the source under
usable conditions.

As it is, the binary release of ODOS works quite nicely.

mike