Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:44:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
To:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD on a DECpc AXP 150

> From: Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
>
> I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched the archives
> and can't find an answer.
>
> How do I install FreeBSD on my AXP150? I have a working boot diskette that
> I have tested on another box and FreeBSD 3.2.
> I've been told that this model alpha won't boot from the diskette, I've
> tried boot dva0 but just get a message "?84 fail".
>
> Any suggestions?
> Andrew Perry
>
> ps: please include me in the responses as I am not subscribed to the list.

Oh my, you have a Jensen, and right, SRM for some wierd reason can't boot
from a floppy on that thing, so you have to jump through some hoops to load
a kernel.

However, NetBSD didn't (and doesn't) support the Jensen, so there was no
platform-specific code for FreeBSD to import...

I've recently built a Jensen from random parts, however, so I hope
to fix this (at least for NetBSD) soon.

	ross.harvey@computer.org