Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gus Mancuso <gus@fiawol.org>
To:        Kevin Gross <kc144@sprynet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD X applications from a networked WindowsNT

Hi Kevin.

If X is already set up on your BSD Box,
just do xhost + NTBOXNAME so that it will allow
X connections from the NT machine.  Do keep in mind
that X isn't terribly secure (see the other posts
regarding this..  I'm no security expert).

I've never used X-WinPro, but I've used some other
X servers before, and one of the main problems I found
was that they all want to use rsh, which noone
enables (with good reason, I'm told) anymore. I usually
had to ssh over to the BSD machine, then start whichever
app I wanted to use (possibly setting $DISPLAY to my
machine name... depends on your ssh setup) for example:
     <Start X server on NT Box>
     <ssh to Unix Box using some WinSSH client>
     export $DISPLAY=NTBOX:0.0
     xcalc &
of course, NTBOX must be resolvable by the Unix Box.

Hope that helps.

-Gus