Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:22:53 -0500
From:      dh2@netwalk.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound card recomendations for FreeBSD

dkelly@hiwaay.net:
 |Randall Hopper said:
 |>      If you want good all-around sound support in all operating systems,
 |> IMO you can't do better than a Creative Labs Sound Blaster 32 or AWE32.
 |> Full SB32/AWE32, Sound Blaster 16, and Sound Blaster compatibility.
 |> Virtually any OS driver or DOS program that has any level of sound support
 |> at all (above PC speaker, that is :-) supports at least one of these
 |> feature sets.
 |>      The only case I think you might be tempted toward another sound card
 |> might be if you want to give up generally good all-around support in favor
 |
 |Good all-around support meaning what? Functionality? Microsoft support?

     Beyond what I mentioned, solid FreeBSD support for all card functions
I'm aware of except full-duplex (full-duplex is supported their 'doze 3.1
and '95 drivers though; www.creaf.com/wwwnew/tech/faqs/qna0001.html).  And
it would be hard to say the Sound Blaster class of sound cards aren't the
most widely supported across other operating systems (DOS programs/games,
Linux, 'doze 3.1/95/NT, etc.).  Until FreeBSD develops a larger commercial
following, that continues to be important to me.

 |> of full duplex audio under FreeBSD specifically (for MBone, Internet Voice,
 |> etc.).  As of yet, the FreeBSD soundblaster sound drivers don't support
 |> full-duplex PCM.  The GUS sound driver does (other cards may as well).
 |
 |I too have heard the GUS card was the best supported sound card under
 |FreeBSD. But I don't know what a GUS card is, or where it can be found.
 |Hint. Hint.

Sorry, GUS = Gravis Ultrasound.  For more info on GUSs, you might surf the
Search... link off the freebsd home page -- search the multimedia group for
GUS.

Good luck with your research.

Randall Hopper