Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:04:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Gavin=20Kenny?= <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multicast and VideoLan

Hi,

I want to start playing with multicast and after
trawling round the net am still a bit confused. On
FreeBSD do I need to recompile the kernel with mrouted
in order to activate multicast capability, or is
mrouted "just" used for routing multicast packets?

I intend to start small and work up, so I have 3
machines connected to a hub. I want to multicast
stream some video (Mpeg) from one and have the other
two pick it up. How do I do this? How do I setup the
group for the server to stream to and how do I get the
clients to join the group?

Finally I've been looking at VideoLan as the app. for
streaming the video. Has anyone managed to get the
server to run under Linux emulation? Or have a native
alternative?

many thanks

Gavin