Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:14:34 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <stable@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RAID/Vinum or Shared MFS... Recommendations?

I've been doing some audio editing with an application which runs
under a certain name brand monopolistic, bug riddled OS. The files
I've been working with are only a couple hundred MB in size. When I
had the 10M hub, I knew the SCSI drive would be faster if it were a
local drive, so I've been using it as a local drive for some time now.
Now that I have upgraded the network hardware to a 100M switch, the
network is no longer my bottleneck. It's I/O now. I understand that
several drives together on a RAID or vinum drive setup would increase
my number of platters, speeding up the read/writes... then I had a
vision. When I was in the restroom this morning (where most of my
enlightening thoughts occur), I thought about what I had read
regarding MFS... that I could make a filesystem in RAM. This being the
case, couldn't it also be shared via samba? If this is the case, it
would blow away my read/write times that I'm currently getting and the
bottleneck would then become the CPU. Correct? It sounds good in
theory. Any insight or comments on personal experience would be
appreciated. Understand that I don't need a lot of space, just a few
hundred MB, so I'm not limited as someone would be for database use.
Thanks in advance.
-Otter