Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 23:00:30 -0500
From:      WizLayer <wizlayer@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD, Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mulga <mulga@flinders.homeunix.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp & dhcp

--nextPart8606727.XkqgBiKzgv

On Friday 11 May 2007 06:52:08 pm you wrote:
> Hi,
> HISADDR is never offered in the transaction.
> the if for ppp looks like {registered addresss >> private address }
> The transaction should contain 2 registered addresses which are MYADDR and
> HISADDR.
> The latter is never offered. Ever.
> I need to find a way to make either ppp renegotiate the addresses or get
> dhclient to do it at link up.
>
> TCPdump only works on routable addresses at this point my end thinks it h=
as
> a real HISADDR when it has a private addr, you end up with routing
> conflicts because his end is trying to route to my end of the pipe which
> has a completly different address.
>
> Windows which uses dhcp with it's ppp implementation has to renegotiate as
> well.
>
> BSD ppp has the dhcp client inbuilt.
>
> John

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get dhcp client to work that way unless=
=20
you apply some really ugly hacks to it.  :)  ppp uses IPCP.  See link for=20
more details:

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/IPCP.htm

Nobody on this list can really guess very well at what your setup is.  If=20
you're looking for more specific advice, we need something to work with.

Is this PPOE?  Dial-up?  Do the logs show anything? What does your ppp.conf=
=20
look like?  When you ppp manually and connect, are you able to get a=20
renegotiation with 'add! default HISADDR'?  (I'm pretty sure it's a '!' for=
 a=20
forced renegotiation if_exist, anyway). =20

I've had my share of brain-dead ISP "techs" too.  If it's not on the=20
flow-chart they follow when they're talking to you, they're completely lost=
=2E =20
It's almost funny.  :)

WizLayer

=2D-=20