Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:06:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      brian@utell.co.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd watching other machine(s)

In article <5i7bo6$o1t$1@kayrad.ziplink.net>,
	mi@ALDAN.ziplink.net..remove-after-`net' (Mikhail Teterin) writes:
> Hi! I have several Unix machines (FreeBSD and Irix), which I'd like
> to set up to watch for other machine's log entries. Say, rtfm will
> log aldan's messages and aldan will log rtfm's messages.
>
> Unfortunately, simply modifying /etc/syslogd.conf to send things to
> @another_host on both system, causes cascades of messages: rtfm sends
> the message to aldan, which bounces it back to rtfm right away.
> Then, rtfm passes it to aldan again, and so on... syslogd has to be
> restarted...
>
> The only solution I see for this, is to run two syslogd-s on each machine.
> With different config files. One will send local messages out (run in
> "safe" mode), another one -- logging remote messages.
>
> Can anyone think of a single process solution? Thanks!
>
> I think, syslogd has to have an option to operate in intelligent
> mode -- recognise when the incoming message is about the localhost
> and not log it (or, at least, not propagate it).
>
> 	-mi

The problem with the two-process thing is that currently, I expect
syslog will only write to the remote port that it listens to locally.

I think a "[port]@machine" option for the config file would solve
this - you'd still need two syslogd processes.

Does anyone on hackers (cc'd there) have any comments/observations ?

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org> <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>;