Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:04:02 -0600
From:      David Wilk <admin@cia-g.com>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>, David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

Ok, I hate to waste bandwidth here, but I have to quickly make a point.
I'm not religious about things as I use what works best (IMHO) for the job
as long as it's not micro$lop.  My experience with FreeBSD has been great
so far (ok, did *not* like ipfw's 'not-quite-stateful-inspection') and I
especially like how extensive and current the ports collection is.

However, I gotta disagree with the linux comments.  First, the linux kernel
is developed independant of the distributions, but not without regard to the
userland utilities that it will work closely with.  Second, it is the
distributions job to integrate these two worlds so that they work seamlessly.
Third, if you have not tried it, check out Debian.  This *huge* group of
developers work very hard to make an incredibly large number of packages
available that are all tested as part of a complete system.  Package management
is awesome.  two commands bring your installed base up-to-date with both security
and bugfixes - services shutdown and restarted automagically.  Releases take
a while, so a system can seem a bit out-of-date, but are always solid.

having the kernel separate from the system has the advantage of being able to
do a complete release upgrade without taking down the system (you lose each
service for a few seconds), or, upgrading the kernel for some new feature
without having to upgrade the entire system.

Dave