Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:24:17 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring sendmail for POP

Sam Carleton wrote:

> My install of FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE was that of a bare install.  I have
> sendmail up and receiving/sending mail.  The machine is on a dedicated
> internet connections and I would like to setup sendmail to server me my
> email via POP3 rather then just pine.  Do I need any other programs to
> watch port 110?  How do I configure sendmail for POP3?
>
> --
> Sam Carleton
> Please stop by http://www.maineville.net and
> help my local police force!

Sendmail is not a POP3 daemon, it's an MTA. There are two major POP3
daemons that I've used, Cucipop, and popper. Due to some security
problems I've been made aware of in popper, I've been using cucipop now.
I highly reccomend it, for two reasons 1-it's really reliable; has yet
to go down on me, 2-it runs stand alone, whereas popper must be run from
inetd. Both applications are in the FreeBSD ports collection. If you
install cucipop, all you'll need to do is run the command
'/usr/libexec/cucipop -Y' on system startup, (assuming that's where
you've placed the executable). If you install popper, you'll have to use
inetd. FreeBSD has a sample entry that just needs to be uncommented in
/etc/inetd.conf for using popper already.
	Again, sendmail does not function as a POP3 server. You do have a bunch
of other alternatives, but if you want my advice, go with cucipop, I'd
stick with the 1.3x branch right now.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com