Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:35:00 -0600
From:      Jeff Isaac <cineveggie.lists@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-i386@freebsd.org
Subject:   7.0RC1 I386 - Sound not initialized when statically compiled into Kernel

Dear I386 List,

Please forgive me if there would have been a better place to post this,
but I was not sure...

I have been hjaving problems getting my machine to inistialize the sound
syustem at boot time when it is statically compiled into the kernel. I
have added

device sound
device snd_ich

to my kernel config and recompiled a couple of times - which the manual
seems to hint is all I needed to do - but the sound kernel module is not
loaded at startup. I have also attempted

device snd

since the sound man page seemed to suggest that the [device sound /
snd_*] prefixes were going to be standardized. Again, the kernel
compiles with these options but when installed, does not start the sound
subsystem. I have been manually starting it via kldload, and finally
included it in my loader.conf for now - which works fine - but I would
prefer to have this compiled into the kernel. I am pretty sure this was
all I needed under 6.1 when I had it on this machine some time ago, but
it's been so long that I can't remember whether there was another line
in the config.

Also, this may be related, but when compiling, the whole process runs
and I get the three line banner stating that kernel compilation is
complete. However, after that message, make tells me that it "does not
know how to compile QSKERNEL" (QSKERNEL being the name of my kernel). It
spits out a similar warning after it completes installation. Is this
significant? Am I not actually installing the patched kernels? or is
this just an untidy finish that make spits out by default?

Thanks very much for your help!

~ Jeff