Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:22:46 -0700
From:      Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@gnezdov.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the definition of the stale port?

On 2005-04-07, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> --y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6
>
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:49:00PM -0700, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
>> What is stale port?
>
> It's not entirely clear what context you're talking about, but the
> answer is probably "One for which a newer version is available."

I'd say that installed port is stale if its version is older then the
version of the port in the /usr/ports/

>> How do I end up having stale ports?
>
> As time marches on :-)

I am guessing, that port becomes stale after running cvsup.

So, what exactly are we supposed to accomplish in respect to stale
ports, when we run pkgdb -F (deinstall, some kind of fix, simple
ignore)?