Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:53:12 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Port startup scripts configuration data - /etc/rc.conf?

On Mon 2001-04-02 (12:45), Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:42:59AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> > On Mon 2001-04-02 (12:29), Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > > Absolutely no opinions? :)  I gather, then, that it would not be considered
> > > a Bad Thing (tm) to do ports configs that way? :)
> >
> > It's ok, but it'll need a change for 5.x sometime soon too, if my
> > prescience is correct. (:
>
> You mean the NetBSD rc.d/ thing?  Weeell.. wouldn't source_rc_confs
> still work?  Please please please make it still work! ;)

Yeah.  I suspect that we'll end up with a "/etc/sourceconf", which will
return the configuration without any special magic functions and stuff.
It'll by default just read in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf as
per the function.

I'm reasonably sure that we can leave in the function, and work around
the function itself in /etc/defaults/rc.conf when writing non-sh tools
to read resource configuration.  Well, this is my guess as how things
will continue, since it'll allow expansion to using netinfo, ldap, or
whatever for configuration.

(Now if only I had a non-critical computer at home, I could work on it;
vmware not really being an option, considering it's an underpowered
p166, with about 50 megs of free space.  Roll on late retrenchment,
salary, and contract payments! *grin*).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner