Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 00:16:58 +0200 (EET)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Jim Barker <jimbark@ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha OPL card

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Jim Barker wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  It is PnP.  The pnp0 device
> will be of great help.  I was wondering if you
> could actually use pnpinfo to provide the proper
> settings for the sbxvi0 and sbmidi devices.  What,

Actually, pnpinfo provides the information on all the logical devices of
your card (all the IRQs, DMAs, memory ranges - both the best choice and
the suboptimal ones (sometimes you can't use the optimal settings).

> if anything would stop me from doing that? I am

Absolutely nothing at all, but in some Yamaha cards (my, for one) SB
emulation is sort of ancient (it emulates 8 bit SB Pro, with 1 DMA and
no duplex), so I wouldn't expect much of them in this mode.

> getting ready to download the pnp0 driver and
> the pcm0 driver.  I do not have the css0 driver in
> my LINT configuration file.  I have FreeBSD 2.2.2.
> Maybe I'll tackle upgrading to 2.2.7 when I get a
> better understanding of what's involved, but right
> now I can get this driver and see if I can go at it
> this way.  Thanks for your help.

Actually, I think CS4232 support is rather oldish (still, I can be wrong -
don't remember when I switched to -current). Otherwise, you can pretend
you're using Windows Sound System compatible. Here's what I had:

device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x13 vector adintr
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Together with pnp0 and the right flags for mss0, that would work just as
well (except for harmless message - at least, for me it was only message -
about possible IRQ/DMA conflict at boottime). As far as PnP support and
pcm drivers are concerned - yes, I think it would make sence to upgrade to
2.2.7. There they are included in the main source tree.

<snip>

Regards,
Vladimir