Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 07:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        spatula@gulf.net (Nick Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel woes

Nick Johnson wrote:

> I have just completed recompiling my kernel a dozen times, each time
> trying out different options to try to narrow down what is going on here,
> but I haven't had much luck yet.  The problem I'm having is that all my
> network operations are returning a "Permission denied" error, and so my
> networking is completely useless.  I've gone so far as to look at the
> configuration file for my old system (which worked) and there aren't any
> significant differences, and even those have nothing to do with the network.

	did you include "options IPFIREWALL" in your kernel configuration
	file?

	the default configuration is to block all packets.  which packets to
	allow in or out should be determined by the end-user.  so, ip
	firewalling is an option, but once enabled it is up to you to
	configure the ip firewall.

	take a look at the example(s) in /usr/src/etc/rc.firewall
jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/